Thursday, May 1, 2014

Report From Little Tree part.3

“Gravity is the only thing that can force things to stay on the ground, and I’m not. It’s not like I’m letting you go. It’s me letting you fly.”

Other than being the winner of “Makan Telur Puyuh” race, and “Cerdas Cermat” competition that I won at my early and teenage age in the “RT” level, this winning in the “TV Program Design Competition” held by Communication Department of University of Indonesia, is the newest not-just-another winning that I got single-handedly.


It’s a bit weird though that an Architect who is no longer hold the title of student, can be or even more to win in a competition that is mostly directed to Communication student. But thanx to my dear fellas in Architecture 2009, I can make all this possible.

Yes, this third report from the little tree, is another post I would like to dedicate to my beloved folks, my proud batch, and one of the best place to grow, Architecture Department of Gadjah Mada University class of 2009.

It’s because of them calling me “Annoying (Angry) Face” like every funning day, I did a self-diagnostic to which I got an answer of why I always show an “Annoying (Angry) Face” even when I don’t mean to. And from that answer, I had an idea of a show to deliver my inner unexploded anger that triggers my “Annoying (Angry) Face” called “Stand-up Angry”. Thus, from there, I  developed the idea furthermore to a show called “Angry Indonesian”.


Logo Ganteng


Now, I won’t tell much about the idea of the show here . You can, if you want though, to see my presentation board here, to see what brought me this winning. But in short, the idea is to make a show, in which people can creatively deliver their Anger, their critiques to society, stuff-they-want-to-say-about-how-annoying-their-daily-lives-has-gotten-to-because-of-some-idiots-who-can’t-do-right-in every-day-live-stuffs. By this I mean like creating a video, illustration, music or, any kind of stuff even like research data. And this collaborative anger will be put in a collaborative works, that is delivered in the show by a single host stand up angry performance, two collaborative performances, and a talk show to breakdown the critiques even more to later be formed into solutions.  

But then, the show is not only about something people can watch on TV, it’s more of a movement called “Good Guy TM and I’m A Lady TM”. So people who have watched the show, make a promise to themselves to not do stuffs as presented in the show, and if they can do that, they deserve to present themselves a Good Guy or I’m A Lady pin.

Now imagine, the stuffs that are being critiqued on the show is very much a daily stuff like being on time, not smoking on a public place, drive thoughtfully, or something really simple but most Indonesian failed to do like throwing trashes on a trash bin. Stuff that i have been delivered in this video. If this show succeed on making a movement,  imagine how nice our society can be. This way, I won’t have to show “Annoying (Angry) Face no more,  people won’t have to bury their anger no more, because things are fine now. We can live happily ever after in a good livable society with a nice lovely environment.

Okay, I made a mistake. It’s not short. But in my defense, it just couldn’t be told so.


After the Presentation | Courtesy of Pekan Komunikasi 2014

The Awarding Night | Courtesy of Pekan Komunikasi 2014


One of my competitors at the competition once said. It’s good that I’m here in this competition, so that I can see and realize how great people outside are. Thinking that I’m the best at my campus can make me “lupa diri”. While the truth is I’m nothing compared to the world. Yeah well, it’s not exactly what he said, but it’s pretty much it.

But anyway, I’m really glad that I was part of Architecture 2009, because being there always make me feel like I’m nothing. Most of my folks are all great people. Win this competition here and there, can do this and that greatly, but yet never seem to be satisfied enough. I never win no shit while I was a student, can do things only up to a mediocre level compared to those who are bests in my class, what that makes me then if those who are better than me always thinks that they are nothing ?

The truth is, from what I’ve seen both in the competition or my current studio and all of my past job selection, we’re better than most of those people out there. We’re better in creative thinking, detail thinking, software skills, and most of all, presentation skills. There are lots of people who have great ideas, but cannot present their idea well.

I’m lucky that I can learn from the bests in my class to present my idea, systematically, strategically, and most importantly, creatively. This way, I can impress the judges, my competitors, the committees, the job assessors, and my studio mates, which then brought what I have now.





Again, I’m just the mediocre class compared to the bests in my class. I have seen almost all of portfolios that come into my current studio,  and I’ve seen my folks at architecture 2009. Trust me, you’re better guys. So if you’re stuck now in finding job, or your final assignment, don’t be. You have what it takes to win. You’re groomed in one of the best competitive environment possible. You are part of Architecture Department of Gadjah Mada University class of 2009. If there are places that declines you to be part of them, it’s their loss !

At last, I would like to say, thank you very much to my folks at Architecture 2009. Thanx for the competitions, the experience, the love, the hate, the laugh, the joy, the sad, the before and after class “nongkrong at Rumah Aceh, Tedjo, and Depan Studio”, the knowledges, and everything even the “Judge” you gave me. You guys helped me be the way I am now and I’m thankful of that.




The competition is still on. We’ve fought hard these last four or five years between ourselves, it’s time to face the world with pride and humble now.  So, Godspeed to you guys ! good luck finding a career, good luck in your career if you already have, good luck in doing your final assignment, good luck hunting scholarships, good luck in doing your life, good luck finding your love ! whatever your choices are, may the best goes with you ! Remember, If the sky is the limit, then you guys are astronauts, FLY !




As for you, good luck fighting Jakarta. Gravity is the only thing that can force things to stay on the ground, and I’m not. It’s not like I’m letting you go. It’s me letting you fly.

My name is Hendro Prasetyo, the principle of Artdicted Studio, and this is the final report from the Little Tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment